With 2013 drawing to a close I thought it would be good to review where I have ridden this year and highlight some other special things that have happened to our special little company.
I have kept up my 100 percent record of cycling up Alpe d’Huez at least once a month through out the year. The highlight of the year was probably my ascent the day before the Tour de France with a German Film crew interviewing me. I did not get a new fastest time this year but it was great sharing the rides with our customers.
In the Media – lots of cycling
- Cyclist magazine joined us in May for our secret Alps ride.
- Simpson Magazine joined us for the Giro d’Italia on the Col du Galibier
- German Film crew interviewed me in July 2013 on a ride up Alpe d’Huez
- New Zealand Road Cyclist joined us for 10 days to ride our Alpe d’Huez to Italy tour
- I was used and abused as an extra in Pedalier road magazine in Cambrils
New destinations cycled
- At the end of March I cycled from our home in Bourg d’Oisans to Bristol in the Uk via the Paris Roubaix sportive. I cycled over 1000 miles in 2 weeks through pretty crap weather. The trip took me into Belgium cycling for the first time as well
- In July Helen and I sneaked off for a few days and I managed a couple of days riding in Corsica and Nice
- Cambrils in Southern Spain
- The Gran Fondo Roma in Rome Italy
New Cols tackled
I climbed a number of new cols this year but these two were probably the most memorable.
- Col d’Eze in Nice
- Climbed the beautiful Col de l’Echelle (just outside Briancon) in September with Theo and Hattie
Customer rider of the season
Was Dan from America who joined us for a week and cycle Alpe d’Huez on his 72nd birthday
Favourite Photo of the season – client just finished the Col du Galibier
Looking forward to 2014
We are filling up for 2014 and have already had to provide a 3rd Alpe d’Huez and Mont Ventoux trip.
I will be heading off to New Zealand for 3 weeks of cycling in January including two sportives. In March I will be competing in the Puncheur sportive in Brighton, UK with a mystery ex AFC Bournemouth football player. We are also planning a club ride in Bristol as well for all our customers that live in the area.
Oh and I have also entered my first ever half marathon run and also am planning on doing the Alpe d’Huez Duathlon in July.